Wednesday 2 December 2015

#AmWriting: There Once Were Stars Trilogy

imageMy writing tip to all you YA fans out there is to never stop reading - especially if you want to be a writer. The two come hand in hand. Stephen King discusses this in his novel On Writing stating: “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” He’s said to spend half his day reading and the other half writing. This may seem crazy, but trust me, any extra reading time you can get in explodes into double the productivity with your writing.
I am currently supposed to be working on a sequel to my YA urban fantasy Summoner Rising. I used NaNoWriMo to pound out 50,000 words, but am still falling short just under 20,000. My deadline with my publisher, Month9Books, is January 1st, 2016. It’s December 1st today. And that deadline isn’t for a first draft. Your publisher expects polished work.
imageBut I’m also working on the third book in my YA dystopian trilogy, There Once Were Stars, which is due June 2016 (also with Month9Books). I know, June is far away. Why, oh why, am I wasting my time working on that now? Because a writer’s brain has a problem staying on one track. It’s the curse of the trade.
Here’s a little sample from the opening paragraph of There Once Were Stars (Coming April 2016). You can also add it to Goodreads here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25947097-there-once-were-stars

No comments:

Post a Comment