Friday 12 February 2016

#FridayFandom: Author Interview with Lucy D. Briand


Thanks for joining us for this week's #FridayFandom!
Today we have Lucy D. Briand, author of MAGNETIC SHIFT.

Synopsis:

PIT PASS TO DISASTER

The ability to magnetize and manipulate metal with the flick of her wrist makes seventeen-year-old Lexi Adams a crack mechanic, but it’s a disaster in the making when her stepdad trades her skills to NASCAR team owner Dean Grant for an entire season’s worth of sponsorship ads.

Now Lexi has no other choice but to suck it up and hope she can keep her magnetic impulses under control—that is, until she runs into NASCAR’s hot new rookie, Colton Tayler.

When Carl Stacy, the ruthless team owner of the defending Cup Champion, discovers Lexi’s secret and plots to use it to ruin Dean’s race team for good, Lexi must either expose her ability to save Colton, risking Dean’s career and her own freedom in the process, or watch the only guy she’s ever fallen for race to his death.



1. Tell us about your book in 140 characters or less

Forced into a deathtrap of metal and media with NASCAR’s hot new rookie, Lexi fears her magnetic ability may not stay secret for long.

******
I always loved stories with subtle paranormal twists and have always been fascinated with superhuman abilities and how one would deal with being so different. Add my love of X-MEN and NASCAR and my experiences and struggles with fitting in because of my mixed geek interests and this became a story I just had to write.



2. What would be the theme song for your book?
I don’t listen to music when I write, but one song that played over and over in my head while writing MAGNETIC SHIFT (especially during one specific scene at the end) was “Tell Me it’s OK” by Josh Henderson. Lexi is so insecure and fears what others would think of her if they knew the real her. Deep down she just wants to be accepted, to have friends, a family. She just wants to know that who she is is okay.



3. What is your favorite "book" movie and why?
My favorite book movie is The Mortal Instrument. I know many will disagree with me but I loved it. The actors, how the story was transferred to the big screen, I loved it all. I must have watched it over a dozen times. I am so disappointed that they did not continue the series and am a little apprehensive about the new TV series based on the books but I’m open to the idea and will give it a fair shot.   



4. What are you currently writing?
I am currently revising an untitled “Fast and the Furious” style paranormal story about a girl who is unbeatable on the quarter mile, but when an apparition starts appearing to her at the finish line all wheels break loose.



5. What are you currently reading?
I’m currently reading The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince by Serena Valentino. I found this book and another in the series on my recent trip to Walt Disney World. It’s the story of how the Beast became the Beast. The next one will be Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen.

Thanks for joining us Lucy! I can't wait to read more!!





Lucy D. Briand lives in Ottawa, Canada with her comic book fanatic husband and her nonchalant Siamese cat. By day she works full time as a public servant for the Government of Canada, but by night her creative mind takes over and conjures up young adult gearhead romance stories with supernatural twists.
When not working, reading, writing, or watching way too much TV, Lucy likes to cosplay, attend ComicCons, go on road trips to Walt Disney World, and play ridiculous amounts of board games. She’s a geek to the core but is also a huge NASCAR Cup fan.
Lucy is represented by Brittany Booker Carter of The Booker Albert Literary Agency.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for having me. This was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete