Friday 19 June 2015

My Summer Reads #TBR: The Reaper's Rite Series

I have to work most the summer (in my non-writing job), but I do get a couple of weeks off to enjoy the weather and get some other work done. If you're like me, you work full time, take classes, have kids you run around, and still manage to get time in to read and write. So when it comes to reading, what I appreciate are recommendations. Here's mine, and every week I will be recommending 2 book's I've read from Month9Book's fine selection of #YAlit.

1. Dorothy Dreyer's, MY SISTER'S REAPER
There's bragging, there's trying to impress a boy, and then there's 16-year-old Zadie. Her first mistake was telling the boy she's crushing on that she could bring her dead sister back to life. Her second mistake? Actually doing it! When Zadie accidentally messes with the reaper's rite that should have claimed her sister Mara, things go horribly wrong (you think?). Mara isn't the same anymore—Zadie isn't even sure she's completely human, and to top it off, a reaper is determined to collect Mara's soul no matter what. Now Zadie must figure out how to defeat her sister's reaper, intent on claiming both girls, or let Mara die...this time for good. This refreshing paranormal love story encloaks a deeper lesson about sisterhood, consequence, and facing one's responsibilities.

2. Dorothy Dreyer's, MY TETHERED SOUL
Months have passed since Zadie faced her sister's Reaper, during which time she's been under her mentor's magical protection. But now that she's turning 17, that protection is about to run out. When dark forces lure Zadie to wander at night, she's manipulated into committing unspeakable acts. With her friends and family at risk, Zadie must try to use her powers to break free from the Reaper's grasp, or surrender to the Reaper's Rite, which can only lead to death.

I hope you enjoy these two reads as much as I did. Oh, and don't feel sorry for me, being cooped up in my cubicle all summer. I still get time to enjoy the finer things in life...like bubbles!

1 comment: