Monday 30 November 2015

#MondayMayhem: In Search of a YA Monster Story

@Repost from my tumblr blog: wereadyabooks.tumblr.com

image


Today “M” is for Monster. Specifically Zombies (yeah, yeah I know zombie starts with a Z - let’s not split hairs). Last night’s The Walking Dead was, as always,fantabulous. I know, I know, The Walking Dead is not YA, but it has a lot of the same elements that make YA awesome: great characters.
I have been a zombie fan since I was allowed to watch scary movies. I’m talking as far back as Stephen King’sPet Sematary (yeah I still can’t crawl into bed without thinking of that creepy kid underneath). I even had a copy of George A. Romero’s Night of the Living Dead(on DVD of course – how old do you think I am). My top 5 favs are: 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later, Pontypool, Resident Evil, and Zombieland.
But upon reviewing my fav big screen Z’s, I realize my zombie-reads have seriously suffered. I’ve read World War Z and I Zombie, but nothing in YA. So last night I went on a fact-finding mission. I mean, YA has everything else; there’s fantasy, science fiction, contemporary, romance, mystery, crime and every other genre and sub-genre out there, so there must be this untapped vein of YA zombie books I’ve been missing out on.
imageWhere do you turn to when you need some good book recommendations? Personally, I LOVE Goodreads! In this case they did not fail me; there was a huge list of YA zombie novels (226 - wha!!). And guess who I found right at the top? Carrie Ryan and her book, Forest of Hands and Teeth. I have wanted to read this forever, looks like I just needed an excuse!


So, I will get a copy of Forest of Hands and Teeth, and finally enter the YA Zombie-fest I’ve been missing out on! It’s even a series (eeek – I heart series)! Please, if you have any other recommendations, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment